Sylvia’s Place is looking for people who want to give back to their communities. Being a home-like environment, there are many opportunities at Sylvia’s Place for those willing to be a part of helping women and children gain back their confidence and independence as well as contributing to efficient program operations. We welcome your call or email for more information on how you can help.
Volunteer support is welcomed and needed in the following areas:
- To be available to supervise children during facility programs, when mothers are working on case management needs, health and medical appointments and additional times as needed.
- Make arts and crafts, read stories, play games, watch educational videos, go on field trips
- Organize and dust library books
- Check out books to residents and shelve returned books
- Storytime with kids
Resident Education/Life Skills
- Helping residents build skills necessary for independent living (Budget Planning, Housing Search, Creating a Resume, Organization, etc)
- Instructional programs (cooking, housekeeping tips, parenting guides, creative arts, etc)
- Transport residents to mandatory appointments
- Medical and mental health appointments
- Emergency transportation
- Answer and respond to phone calls
- Update and develop documents for staff
- Data entry, shredding, filing, copying, etc.
- Update social media with news posts, events, holiday notices, etc.
- Help develop, distribute, and update promotional materials such as brochures, posters, etc.
- Assist with organization and execution of marketing events
- Organize outreach materials for distribution
- Assist with outreach events by creating, compiling, or passing out materials to the public
- Assist with planning and management of fundraising events
- Assist with event set-up or clean-up
- Help develop and coordinate distribution of fundraising materials
- Help secure in-kind donations for raffles or auctions
- Minor Repairs
- Yard Work/Gardening
- Donation Organization
- Organize and sanitize items in toy room
- Dust and organize books in library
- Wash windows, walls, doors, and doorknobs
- Remove trash
Adopt a Family (October – January)
- Contacting donors and pairing with families
- Wrapping gifts and delivering them to families
- Donation organization and inventory
Whatever your skills and talents are, we are always looking for helpful hands. Even if you have an interest outside of what is listed here that you would be willing to share with our agency and those we are honored to serve, please contact us. To apply to work with us as a volunteer, fill out the application below. We are excited to hear from you!